This is a short and simple tip, but very usefull when dooing new HTML5 based projects.
www.html5boilerplate.com will help you structure your markup for a new HTML5 page. It gives you the ability to customize which components you want to include, and makes a package for you. The package will contain some scripts and the markup itselfe.
A great way to use the boilertempalte is to download it, and investergate how its been setup. It contains comments for almost every detail, so it can be a great learning experince to go through the code.
a few items from the featurelist:
- Cross-browser compatible(also IE6)
- Optiman caching and compression rules
- Progressive enhancement graceful degradation
- Console.log fix included so it wont break
- Mobile browser optimizations